Walking is one of the simplest and safest aerobic exercise you can do. It will help you strengthen your bones, control your weight, and condition your heart and lungs. Being consistent in your walking exercise routine is one of the most important factors in developing a healthy physical activity program. Research has shown that people who walk approximately 20-25 miles per week outlive those who don’t walk by several years.
- On average, every minute of walking can extend your life by 1.5 to 2 minutes. That’s about a 2 for 1 trade-off!
- Walking an extra 20 minutes each day will burn off 7 pounds of body fat per year.
- To burn off 1 plain M&M candy, you need to walk the full length of a football field. Think about that next time you dip your hand into a candy bowl at someone’s office!
- Longer, moderately-paced daily walks (40 minutes at 60% to 65% maximum heart rate) are best for losing weight.
- Shorter, faster walks (20-25 minutes at 75% to 85% maximum heart rate) are best for conditioning your heart and lungs.
For more wild facts on walking, go to jorbins.com.